Differential Cross-Pin Bolt Removal Guide
- Tapered Extractor
- Spiral Extractor
- Drill Guide Bolts
- 12" 1/8" drill bit
Note: Proper precautions should be taken to prevent metal filings from remaining within the differential which can cause premature wear or damage.
Please follow all safety regulations and wear proper PPE in case the cutting tool shatters or breaks.
- After removing broken bolt, determine which drill-guide bolt to use. The long drill-guide bolt is most often used, the shorter drill-guide bolt should only be required when there are only2-3 threads left clear.
- Thread the proper drill-guide bolt into the bolt hold until it bottoms against broken bolt, finger tighten only. Cleaning bolt hold threads with suitable thread chaser or tap may be required. (Not included.)
- Use a 3/8” or less capacity electric drill with the 1/8” drill bit, larger drills may hinder due to their size. The differential carrier should be rotated to provide a straight drilling angle. Insert drill bit through the guide-bolt and drill into the broken bolt approx. 1/4”. Removing the drill bit multiple times during the drilling process to remove metal shavings is recommended. Excessive force while drilling is not recommended.
- Once drilling is complete, remove the drill-guide bolt and insert the correct extractor into the drilled hole. The tapered extractor will most commonly be used. If the tapered extractor cannot be used with finger strength alone, try the spiral extractor with a small wrench.
- Remember that the extractor needs to be turned in a counter-clockwise direction to remove the broken bolt.
- This guide is not meant to instruct in every circumstance of cross-pin bolt breakage. Circumstances of the breakage and user skill will be the ultimate factors in determining if the bolt can be removed this way.
*All Nitro Gear & Axle brand products are warrantied to be free of manufacturer defects for the specified period. Warranty requests must be made by the original purchaser and submitted by the dealer purchased from. Any parts sent for warranty consideration must be pre-approved and shipped prepaid freight to our facility with copy of RGA for our inspection & determination. We will not pay for labour, shipping cost, loss of revenue or perishable goods, commercial losses, costs of telephone calls, shipping or general inconvenience. This is our only warranty expressed or implied. Unauthorised warranty returns may be refused. Warranty generally covers MFG defects in material or workmanship. Abuse, overloading, improper lubrication, misuse, commercial or competition use voids warranty. Normal characteristics are not warrantable, such as Gear whine. Minor cosmetic flaws, dings, burrs from shipping or manufacturing, are not considered defect, it is installer responsibility to address these at time of install. Customer is responsible for shipping charges if warranty is granted. Warranty is for the original purchaser/user, is not transferable. Warranty covers one replacement or credit solely at our discretion. Warranty determinations are at our sole discretion.